History, studied near and far–from academics to “proletarian buffs”, yet it is still widely under used and misunderstood. However, that is not the purpose of this post. As a revolutionary understanding history well is just as, if not, more important than both theory and praxis because it is the umbrella guiding the development of both. In order to develop our theory and praxis to its highest stage–a firm grasp of history is a prerequisite.
History is about development, contradiction and, controversially for me, about people. For the next week I will be writing about certain revolutionary people throughout history. If we are truly committing ourselves to global revolution then it is important to understand the people who have paved the way for us to think, work and organize within the framework today. This is controversial because many people see the focus on people as diluting movement history in favor of “Great Man” worship. I however believe that people are genius and questionable, brave and cowardly, leaders and followers, people are the greatest example of dialectics and so incredibly important to the understanding of accurate historical accounts.
So for people/groups/organizations to make this list I have some criteria that must be followed, diligently.
- Beginning with an overall understanding that history and these people/groups are NOT absolute–nothing is and pending what research I do, or what others may do as well, we can and will come to different conclusions because of our intents, biases and etc.
- To qualify for the list they must be committed to life-long, systemic, change
- As well as, actively fighting for said changes; through writing, organizing, etc.
- NOT REQUIRED; preference will be given to revolutionaries belonging to oppressed nations (relative to their own standards, of course) and still fighting an oppressive system
- List will emphasize people/groups that are Non-Western (U.S.A or Western Europe), as well as, uplifting the voices and movements of people of color, women, LGBTQIA and non-binary/gender nonconforming revolutionaries; not required but highly recommended
Will include people such as:
- Ella Baker
- Antonio Gramsci
- Kwame Ture
- Amilcar Cabral
- Thomas Sankara
- Joseph Stalin
- Lakshmi Sehgal
- Blanca Canales
- Ana Maria
- Michael Collins
- Leila Khaled
- Among (hopefully) many more!
And with groups/organizations such as:
- the Naxalites
- Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO)
- Khmer Rouge
- New People’s Army
- Kurdistan Workers’ Party
- Weather Underground
- Young Lords
- Zapatistas National Liberation Army
Stay posted y’all, the first post will be up by tomorrow! Please keep sharing and have a great night!